Monday, January 14, 2013

Gluten Free Yellow Cake

We were having a lazy Sunday afternoon when my girls decided it would be a great day to make a cake.  The only problem was that we didn't have a gluten free cake mix in the pantry.  So what to do?  I haven't always had the best of luck baking gluten free goodies from scratch.  I did have a box of Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose Flour so I felt I might have a chance.   


I googled gluten free cake mix recipes and found THIS one on allrecipes.com


I was surprised to see mayo on the ingredient list but the picture of a perfect looking cupcake made me want to give it a try.  I must say that it turned out great.  Maybe even better than great!  In fact, I also made another store bought gluten filled box cake for the rest of the family and even I couldn't tell the difference.  I like this recipe because it filled a 9x13 pan.  Most boxed gf mixes are only enough for an 8x8 pan.  I've included my own pictures to show just how lovely it really was.  I used Pillsbury's Funfetti frosting on top. 


1 1/2 cups white rice flour (I used 2 1/4 cup Gluten Free Pantry All Purpose flour instead of the 2 listed flours)
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xantham gum
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. (I used a glass 9x13 glass dish.)

2.Mix the white rice flour, tapioca flour (this is where I used my all purpose flour instead), salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside.

3.Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans.

4.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment