Sunday, April 4, 2010

Funeral Potatoes


Otherwise know as Ward Casserole Potatoes, and the slightly morbid Graveyard Potatoes. Either way they are a fantastic side dish to any meat.

1 bag frozen hashbrowns
1 can Health Valley Cream of Chicken soup
16 oz sour cream
2-3 cups medium cheddar cheese
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cups GF frosted flakes crushed
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. In large bowl mix hashbrowns, soup, sour cream, cheese and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Spread evenly into 9x13 pan. Crush corn flakes,(sometimes I used frosted flakes if that's all I have. I like the sweetness) and mix with melted butter. Sprinkle flakes on top. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes.


So what do I think about this soup? Well, I am so glad to have found it. We use many recipes that call for the traditional cream of chicken. However it is not a complete substitute for the Campbell's version that we know and love. This soup is quite a bit thinner. The can is also bigger so I have to remember not to always dump the whole can into my recipes, or they might be too runny. Health Valley also makes a GF cream of mushroom soup. Again, it is not the perfect substitute, but will work in a pinch.

1 comment:

  1. Hey...I've found that making my own cream of X soup tastes much better :)

    Melt 4 Tbs butter
    Add 4 Tbs GF flour to create paste (I use Jules - guess you could use cornstarch too)
    Slowly add 3/4 cup milk, stirring constantly
    Add 1 1/4 cup chicken broth (or one can), stirring constantly
    Bring to a boil, stirring constantly
    Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
    S&P, other seasonings to taste (I like a splash of white cooking wine too)

    (I usually make a double - or triple - batch.
    Take what you need, then let the rest cool and freeze in 8 oz portions. Since it's a little soupier, I tend to use slightly less than a regular can yields.

    Anyway, it's still much thinner than traditional canned cream soups, but the taste is great and it works in everything I've tried from casseroles to the crock pot!!!!!

    I suppose you could make cream of mushroom or celery or whatever if there's a GF flavor packet somewhere or veggie broth??? Not sure...haven't tried it...

    Yet :)

    ReplyDelete